Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Nationals introduce CJ Abrams to the nation's resources
The first ball placed in play last night was hit CJ Abrams' method, and the Washington Nationals' brand-new, 21-year-old shortstop, gotten from the San Diego Padres in the Juan Soto/Josh Bell deal at the target date, and called up on Monday, ranged to his left, fielded the grounder off Chicago Cubs' leadoff male Nick Madrigal's bat and struck Luke Voit's handwear cover at first base with a strike.  It was an early examination for the 2019 1st Round choice in his debut in the country's capital.  Entering into the game, Abrams' new supervisor, Davey Martinez, said the shortstop was delighted to get the game began and return to the majors after debuting with the Padres previously this year.  "He seems like a great kid," the first-year skipper in D. C.  stated of the infielder that was rated as San Diego's No.  1 possibility and as the No.  9 possibility in all of baseball going into the 2022 campaign.  "He's nervous to head out there and play, so we're simply mosting likely to go out there and let him play," Martinez added after penciling Abrams in as his No.  7 hitter for his very first video game, though that will likely change.  Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports "Ultimately, what I 'd such as to do is relocate him up in the lineup a bit, but I simply desire him to obtain his feet wet, you know, so I thought of just batting him seventh today, and allow's see what he does," the manager made a favorable very first impression on Martinez also, when they talked after Abrams came up, from Triple-A Rochester in the Nats' system, with incumbent shortstop Luis Garca who's mosting likely to relocate to second base when he's back), put on the 10-Day IL on Monday after tweaking his groin over the weekend break. " Quiet kid.  But an excellent kid," Martinez said after speaking with Abrams.  "A great deal bigger than I thought in individual.  Yet I informed him, 'Hey, this is your new home.  Be where your feet are, and go out there and simply play the game and have a good time.  I told him two points that truly annoy me is if you don't go to very first base difficult and you miss out on indicators.  So aside from that, go play the game, and enjoy it and if you have any questions for me, do not hesitate ahead to my office, I'm constantly , that had actually previously shared the plan to shift Garca over to 2nd when Abrams got the phone call, confirmed he 'd informed his 22-year-old infielder the information on Monday. " Yeah, I talked to him the other day and I informed him, I said, 'Hey, you will move to 2nd base, and I want you to play keystone. ' So when we start getting him back on the area he'll take his ground balls over at 2nd. " Abrams was hard at job at Triple-A Rochester, where the Nationals sent him to obtain his feet wet in a new organization, and find out to play the "Nationals' means" as GM Mike Rizzo claimed recently, with a concentrate on his protection while he was with the Nats' top minor organization affiliate for a couple of Burke-USA TODAY Sports "I mean, everyone appreciates me," he said of his own first impacts of his brand-new ballclub when he talked to reporters in his new club https://www.nationalsshorts.com.  "I've been collaborating with [Nationals' small organization infield coordinator Jos Alguacil a whole lot working with defense, and simply playing, still the strategy, have a good time with it. " Alguacil remained in Nationals Park as well last evening, to aid alleviate the transition for the young infielder. " It was just to bring somebody here with him just since he recognizes him," Martinez said.  "He was collaborating with him down there, and simply to obtain him a little adapted, so we have Gary [DiSarcina who's done a great job, he actually does, and has actually been doing it for several, several years, so I desire Gary to develop that connection with CJ too and start handling a great deal of his workload. " Abrams installed a.  232/. 285/. 320 line with 5 doubles and 2 home runs in 46 games and 139 plate appearances with the Padres after debuting in April, and put up a.  290/. 343/. 355 line, going 9 for 31 with 2 doubles in 8 video games at Triple-A Rochester since Sunday, yet he 'd only played 76 video games prior to coming up with San Diego, and he 'd played 160 video games in all as a professional entering into last night's video game. " Yeah, from my understanding, and from what I listened to after conversations with some people is that he handled himself actually well," Martinez claimed of Abrams' keep up the Padres previously in the period. " Although he was young, he did well.  And all they wanted him really to do was capture the sphere for them, and he revealed that he could do that. " That's what I informed him today, it's just all about making the routine plays, and simply go out there and have a good time. " He's got lots of capacity.  I simply watched him take some ground balls, he moves effectively, so like I stated, we're going to view him play, with the understanding is that we reached keep in mind-- he's just played like I assume 130-140 games complete, so he's very young, he's very young to the entire professional baseball point too.  So we're mosting likely to maintain good eyes on him.  I trust my trainers, we currently had discussions with him about the infield stuff, about the striking stuff, so we're going to maintain extremely close eyes on him and have conversations with him, and get him all set to play right here on a daily basis.  We're going to see him play every day up until I consider he needs a day, and we'll go from there. " Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports Currently that he's up, the objective is straightforward. " We desire him to stay right here, which's our goal," Martinez said he understood everyone would certainly be enjoying him very closely, however he said he wouldn't allow it bother him.  "The attention sort of just features the strategy," he claimed.  "I do not really take note of much of that, I simply go out there do my point around and enjoy. " Abrams went 0 for 4 at the plate, and he made a mistake on a high toss to initially, yet he additionally made a pair range-y plays in the area, showed off the arm, made a few strong tosses in what wound up a 5-4 win, and he impressed his supervisor at the same time. " I was enjoying his pre-pitch, I enjoyed the means he relocates, he was great.  His angles were actually, really, really excellent, which was outstanding," Martinez stated after the video game, "and he had some great swings up at the plate. "" It's mosting likely to be a lot of enjoyable with him," the manager included.  "I imply, he's obtained, like I stated, he's obtained the prospective to be actually, truly good.  And you can see that.  However like I claimed, he enjoys to play, we spoke a little bit about him being right here, and he states so far everybody has actually been wonderful, and his teammates look they like to enjoy, and so it's been great. " https://www.nationalsshorts.com/Stephen_...urg_Shorts